Vehicle Donation Frequently Asked Questions
Will Hospice of the Valley accept a vehicle – whether it’s running or not?
Does Hospice of the Valley pick up and sell donated vheicles?
No. Hospice of the Valley (HOV) is fortunate to work with Total Resource Auctions, which will tow, clean, and auction a vehicle in any condition. This allows HOV to comply with IRS regulations regarding vehicle donations. By selling to everyone from retailers to scrap iron dealers, we are able to accept a larger variety of working and nonworking vehicles. Auction sales may not be comparable to other private or commercial resale methods.
What do I need to do to donate my vehicle?
- Be the owner of the vehicle with no lien on the title.
- Have the vehicle title in your possession.
- Call HOV (602.530.6992) or submit our Vehicle Donation Form with the following information:
- Your name, address, and phone number.
- The address where the vehicle may be picked up.
- The year, make, model, and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), which can be found on the title.
- A convenient time when the vehicle may be picked up. You do not need to be present when vehicle is picked up. Just leave keys and title in the glove box.
What else do I need to do?
- If you would like to return your plates to the MVD for a refund of the registration, please remove the plates prior to the vehicle being picked up.
- After the vehicle has been picked up, you may call your insurance provider and cancel your coverage on that vehicle.
How do I know what my tax deduction is?
After the vehicle is sold, we will report the proceeds from the auto sales company check. We complete the required IRS 1098 C form and mail you the appropriate copies along with a thank-you letter. HOV forwards the original 1098 C to the IRS, per federal regulations.
Can my vehicle donation be in memory of someone?
Yes. The proceeds from the sale of your vehicle can be designated as a memorial donation. If you wish to designate your donated vehicle in someone’s memory, please provide this info on the pickup form or inform our donations staff. A letter acknowledging your donation will be sent to the family member you request.
Hospice of the Valley Fund Development
1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.5656
Contact Us | Phone: 602.530.6992 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
HOV is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit hospice, Tax ID: 86-0338886.
Your donation is tax-deductible as permitted by law.