Veterans and Military Families Program
Support Veterans with Your Care & Compassion
Hospice of the Valley is excited to begin a new initiative to enhance care for our veteran patients and their families. Thanks to a three-year grant, we will participate in the Legacy Corps for Veterans and Military Families Program (an AmeriCorps Member Volunteer Service Program).
We are the only non-profit in Arizona to receive this grant from Arizona State University and AmeriCorps.
- Provide in-home respite care ensuring that the patient is not alone while their caregiver takes a much-needed break
- Socialize to help patients find enjoyment through meaningful activities
- Offer transportation for patients or caregivers so they can get to appointments or run errands
- Grocery shop, run errands or provide light house keeping
- Training to prepare you for the role
- A monthly allowance
- A college tuition award after a year of service (must complete 450 hours). Members 55 and older can pass this award to child or grandchild.
- And most importantly an opportunity to make an impact on the lives of others!
For questions email LegacyCorps@hov.org or call us at 480-844-5486.
Legacy Corps has helped me as a student and provided me with a fulfilling experience. I learned a lot about our aging community which is beneficial to my current academic minor in Gerontology. I give Legacy Corps an A plus!
-Social Work student about her AmeriCorps Position with Legacy Corps for Veteran and Military Families
I have now earned $4800 toward my granddaughters education. She is now an RN and is working at the VA.
-4th year Legacy Corps for Veteran and Military volunteer
Legacy Corps has provided me with new educational improvements and a way to give back to the community as well as making new friends.
-Retired Army, Legacy Corps Member
My mom has loved getting to know her Legacy Corps volunteer. They have formed a special bond. I hope you know how much our family appreciates this program
-Family Caregiver of her Legacy Corps Volunteer